Preservation New Jersey • 1867 Sanctuary at Ewing • PO Box 7815• West Trenton, NJ 08628
About Preservation New Jersey
Established in 1978 and based in Trenton, Preservation New Jersey is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which advocates for and promotes historic preservation as a sustainable strategy, and helps New Jerseyans manage change in their communities by preserving the places that matter. Membership in Preservation New Jersey keeps you informed, keeps the membership base strong, and enables Preservation New Jersey to continue advocacy throughout the state.
Preservation New Jersey was indirectly involved with the building for several years, assisting those who sought to preserve it, helping to secure insurance for it, and placing it on the “10 Most Endangered Historic Sites in NJ” list in 2009.
In May 2012 Preservation New Jersey signed a 50-year lease agreement with the Presbytery of New Brunswick, granting PNJ responsibility for the structure, including the authority to undertake the necessary repair, rehabilitation and reuse of the building. For Preservation New Jersey, this model initiative was not only about restoring a landmark, but using the process as an example of how to adaptively reuse a historic building. Preservation New Jersey’s 1867 Sanctuary Committee oversees all aspects of the repair, adaptive re-use, fund-raising for, and future management of the building, which was slated for demolition in 2008. Our mission is to facilitate sustainable adaptive public reuse of this historic structure with its protection, preservation and restoration.
The 1867 Sanctuary at Ewing is the first structure for which Preservation New Jersey has taken such a hands-on leadership role in a local preservation project, and it will serve as a model for future involvements. Click here for a current report of progress.
August 15, 2015
Copyright © 2015 · All Rights Reserved · Preservation New Jersey